I suppose that before I start to seriously delve into whatever I plan to blog about (nominally Spain), an introduction is in order. My name is Kenneth, a Spaniard currently hanging out in the US of A (not necessarily by choice). Though due to familial circumstances I hold citizenship in both nations, I must admit that I have always felt a much closer bond to Spain, an ardent patriotism and love for country that I simply don't get with the US. But maybe that's something to shelve for later.
'Plus Ultra' is the national motto of Spain. It is a Latin phrase meaning 'Further Beyond', which I like to think reflects a long-standing need and desire to go beyond the limits that have beset Spain since its formation. A look at Spain's history shows a nation that has somehow always managed to break free of shackles trying to hold it back, be they the Moorish occupation or political disunity, to find bigger and better things.
I'd like to make this motto pertain to my humble blog. As a broad mission statement, I aim to look at Spain's past and present and go further beyond just a superficial knowledge of events or happenings; I aim to consider the underlying significances and nuances of my subjects, with an eye on analysis of the issues and watersheds that have formed and continue to form a people, and to somehow come to understand this diverse and historied land.
The opportunities are endless. I guess that means I don't have an excuse not to pursue them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment